Published in the Interest of the Staunton Community for Over 143 Years

Looking Back Photograph

The top picture shows the Progressive Associated Grocers warehouse on East Mill Street long after it had been abandoned. PAG was organized in 1928 and served 11 stores in Staunton and four in nearby towns. In 1954 a new building was constructed on Route 4, now Livingston Pipe and Tube. The grocers association was dissolved in 1986 with the fading of neighborhood stores. The East Mill building was enpty for a long time. It caught fire in 1989, revealing the original Staunton Light and Power plant in use before the town switched to Illinois Power.

Both photos are from the collection of Lillian A...

 

Reader Comments(0)

 
 
Rendered 07/22/2024 01:00